[wingide-users] Need su permission in wingide debugger

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Thu Nov 22 23:19:51 MST 2007

YEU-JIUN WANG wrote:
> I'm using wingide in mac os x. I need to debug under wingide when
> using ctypes to access '/dev/bpf0' that need the su permission. Does
> anybody know how to do it? Thanks!!

Hi,

You will need either need to run Wing as root (which we don't really
recommend) or run the debug process with su permission and connect
back to Wing IDE with wingdbstub.  This is explained here:

http://wingware.com/doc/debug/debugging-externally-launched-code

I think you can also change permissions on /dev/bpf0.  I found
the following which seems to suggestion this:

http://list.nfr.com/pipermail/nfr-users/1999-July/001779.html

However, I don't know much about the security implications.
Using the wingdbstub solution is probably the safest.