[wingide-users] Serious problems with v2 project updated to v3

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Tue Nov 13 09:58:01 MST 2007

Hugh Gibson wrote:
> There are many, many files under the project folder, but most of them
> aren't intended to be part of the project, being created by the program
> or packages. When I open the project these all get auto-added.

The conversion process does sometimes include too much -- it adds a
single directory that is the outermost parent of the directories
in the 2.x project.  This works OK in cases where the project isn't
including stuff all over the disk and there aren't lots of generated
files as seems to be the case for you.  It breaks down in other
cases, as you found.

I would recommend removing everything from the project and adding
selected directories.  For some of them you may want to turn off
recursive and check for changes.  In some cases, you may instead want
to right click on sub-directories and Remove From Project.

Also, you may want to (or need to) set up a custom file filter rather
than including "*".  The filter is another way to get Wing to
exclude generated files and other stuff you don't want in the
project.

I'm pretty sure that applying filters and maybe a few manual removes
to recursive auto-updating directories is in the longer run much
easier to deal with than manually maintaining a project's content
file by file.  It may also be less dangerous since relying on the
project to include all files during, say, a global replace could
result in missing some files.

The fact that conversion wasn't easy to implement well is of course
not so good, and I'm sorry that this caused you this much pain.

BTW, in general I'd like to encourage people to email us before
getting to this kind of level of frustration.  When Wing doesn't
work right we want to hear about it, and in many cases we can
offer suggestions or get things working quickly (or come up with
a patch).

> I want to be able to add files carefully to the list of files in the
> project. I don't want to have all the files added automatically. Is there
> a setting where I can see things like in v2?

You can still add individual files one at a time.  If the above tips
don't help then one solution would be to offer to convert 2.x projects
but allow the user to not convert in which case it would just end up
being file by file.  I'm not convinced that's a good idea, although
I agree the automatic conversion we have now can be a problem.

> While I'm at it, there are a number of bugs in this area that haven't
> been fixed. The project name plus folder is still too long and the
> Options drop down is hidden unless you make the right hand box very wide.
> The view as flattened tree (the option I am using because of the great
> depth of the AJAX project we have as part of a webserver (written in
> Python)) isn't listed correctly in the options. And the title of the
> whole app is the current file, rather than the current project - pretty
> useless when See old bug reports for those.

3.0.2 will have the project name in the window title.  The wrong view
radio button bug is still there and on our list of bugs to fix.  For
the project name display issue:  What is your Files / Title Style
preference set to?

> Oh, oh, oh.... I've just discovered that searching in Project Files now
> searches all files under the project directory, rather than searching the
> files that I've carefully added to the project.  Now, searching in js
> files will take about 20 times as long because I've got source files for
> the AJAX packages we're using under the project directory. Why did you
> have to lose the distinction between Project Files and searching a
> directory? If I want to search a directory (and I do, sometimes) I have
> another search tab set up with the directories I normally search. But if
> I want to search just my source files, not everyone elses, I can't. And
> it seems to be searching svn folders even though I had turned that off in
> v2.

Something isn't right here.  It certainly shouldn't go into .svn and also
should not include stuff not shown on the Project view.  Are you saying
it brings up results in files that aren't in the project list/tree or
is this just a result of unwanted files being included right now?
What is the Filter set to in the search in files tool?