[wingide-users] Serious problems with v2 project updated to v3

Hugh Gibson hgibson at cix.co.uk
Tue Nov 13 04:26:00 MST 2007

I'm using 3.0.1-1 (rev 16734) and having a serious problem with an
upgraded version 2 project.

There are many, many files under the project folder, but most of them
aren't intended to be part of the project, being created by the program
or packages. When I open the project these all get auto-added.

If I click on the "project directory" and select "Directory Properties" I
can turn off Recursive and Watch For External Changes and all the
additional folders are removed. Paradoxically, there are files in a
common folder which is a sibling of the project directory, referenced by
../common/ and they still appear in the list.

------start rant------
I'm sorry, but I've got to shout as I'm really upset by this: WHAT ON
EARTH HAVE YOU DONE?

I want to be able to add files carefully to the list of files in the
project. I don't want to have all the files added automatically. Is there
a setting where I can see things like in v2?

While I'm at it, there are a number of bugs in this area that haven't
been fixed. The project name plus folder is still too long and the
Options drop down is hidden unless you make the right hand box very wide.
The view as flattened tree (the option I am using because of the great
depth of the AJAX project we have as part of a webserver (written in
Python)) isn't listed correctly in the options. And the title of the
whole app is the current file, rather than the current project - pretty
useless when See old bug reports for those.

I upgraded to v3, paying to update the license, so I could debug in
threads. Great. I was intending to get everyone else in the company to
upgrade as well. But I'm of the opinion now, given the debacle of the
project files, that we should stick to v2.

Please, please, please tell me that there's an option to kill the
auto-directory in the project files list, and give me the v2 option to
carefully select the files to add to the project. I can't tell you how
much of a backward step this is.

Oh, oh, oh.... I've just discovered that searching in Project Files now
searches all files under the project directory, rather than searching the
files that I've carefully added to the project. Now, searching in js
files will take about 20 times as long because I've got source files for
the AJAX packages we're using under the project directory. Why did you
have to lose the distinction between Project Files and searching a
directory? If I want to search a directory (and I do, sometimes) I have
another search tab set up with the directories I normally search. But if
I want to search just my source files, not everyone elses, I can't. And
it seems to be searching svn folders even though I had turned that off in
v2.
------end rant------

Hopefully you will fix this real soon or tell me the option that I've
missed. If not, I'll ask for my money back.

For now, I'm not going to be recommending that everyone else in the
company upgrades.

Hugh