[wingide-users] Feature request: non-blocking file checking, or...

Joshua J. Kugler joshua at eeinternet.com
Thu Nov 8 14:26:34 MST 2007

On Thursday 08 November 2007, Wingware Support said something like:
> Joshua J. Kugler wrote:
> > I have a project I work on via an sshfs mount to a remote box.
> > Works great, but when Wing checks for file updates every X seconds,
> > the whole IDE freezes for several seconds.  Could the file checking
> > be relegated a separate thread?  Hmm, that might not help, due to
> > the GIL.
> >
> > OK, how about: make checking for file changes configurable on a
> > per-project basis so I could shut it off for this project.  Doable?
>
> Entire directory trees are scanned only when "Watch for external
> changes" is checked in directory properties for a directory.  There
> will be some checking done when a files are open, but it should be
> quicker than a full scan.  To manually initiate a directory scan, use
> "Rescan directory" on the project context menu.
>
> You can also change the check frequency preference on the Files ->
> Reloading preference page.  Note that this preference was buggy in
> versions prior to 3.0.1.

I have the reloading interval set to five seconds...I'll have to change
that.  It also may have something to do with the sshfs cache default of
20 seconds.

"Watch for external changes" is disabled on this directory tree.

Joshua Kugler
Part-Time System Admin/Programmer
http://www.eeinternet.com
PGP Key: http://pgp.mit.edu/  ID 0xDB26D7CE
PO Box 80086 -- Fairbanks, AK 99708 -- Ph: 907-456-5581 Fax:
907-456-3111