[wingide-users] Feature request: non-blocking file checking, or...

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Thu Nov 8 14:01:49 MST 2007

Joshua J. Kugler wrote:
> I have a project I work on via an sshfs mount to a remote box.  Works
> great, but when Wing checks for file updates every X seconds, the whole
> IDE freezes for several seconds.  Could the file checking be relegated
> a separate thread?  Hmm, that might not help, due to the GIL.
>
> OK, how about: make checking for file changes configurable on a
> per-project basis so I could shut it off for this project.  Doable?

Entire directory trees are scanned only when "Watch for external
changes" is checked in directory properties for a directory.  There will
be some checking done when a files are open, but it should be quicker
than a full scan.  To manually initiate a directory scan, use "Rescan
directory" on the project context menu.

You can also change the check frequency preference on the Files ->
Reloading preference page.  Note that this preference was buggy in
versions prior to 3.0.1.

Cheers,