[wingide-users] thread stops at raw_input() in other thread

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Thu Nov 8 09:17:59 MST 2007

Sebastian Fey wrote:
> sorry its me again =)
>
> there seems to be another threading issue.
> when i debug the following code it stops at the raw_input.
> (also the main-thread stops)
>
> is there a workaround?

We're probably stopping all threads unintentionally while
waiting for the input.  This is a result of how the debugger
is designed right now.  We'll look at fixing this bug
specifically, although it's just one case of a general class
of bug that we need to fix by allowing other threads to run
in more cases (e.g. when typing in the Debug Probe).

The general case of always allowing other threads to run wasn't
done before 3.0 final because it turned out to be quite
hard to do safely.  There are issues both in doing it well
within our own code (typical threading-is-hard stuff),
and dealing with the likely possibility that not stopping
all threads as we do now will bring out concurrency bugs in
user code, causing things to deadlock/etc.

Anyway, that's not directly relevant to this particular case
since it should be safe to allow other threads to run here.
So hopefully we can fix it without solving the harder case
completely.

Thanks for all the bug reports.