[wingide-users] New To Community

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Wed Nov 7 09:22:05 MST 2007

John Dangler wrote:
> New to Wing; first question - I have an existing project with about a
> dozen or so subdir's.  According to my initial reading, it would seem to
> indicate that each of these subdir's would be placed in the Python Path
> under Project Properties.  If I need to include each of these subdir's
> in the path, what is the syntax for doing so?

Basically, you need to replicate the path and other related environment
(such as current directory if '.' is on the path) so it matches what
you have at runtime outside of Wing.  This lets Wing's source analysis
engine can find things and offer auto-completion/etc.

This is done in Project Properties and the path syntax there is the
directory paths separated by os.pathsep (which is ';' on Windows
and ':' on other OSes).

If the subdirs are packages (they contain __init__.py files) then you
do not need to add them to your path.  Having their parent directory
on the path is enough in that case, assuming you're importing them
as packages.

In general, if Wing is offering autocompletion on your code then your
path is probably OK.  If it's not, then it's probably not finding
the modules and needs more path info.

If this doesn't help, please let me know.