Debugging WSGI apps, WAS Re: [wingide-users] Debugging Paste/Pylons apps with ver 3.0a2

Pete pfein at pobox.com
Mon May 21 09:15:49 MDT 2007

On Sunday May 20 2007 9:56 pm, Christopher Baus wrote:
> I'm trying to get the new threaded debugger to work with paste server and
> pylons.
>
> I wrote a little wrapper script to start the server.
>
> from paste.script.serve import ServeCommand
>
> myserver = ServeCommand("serve")
>
> myserver.run(["--reload", "development.ini"])
>

> But the debugger never seems to hit my breakpoints.  What do I have to do
> to debug paste applications?

Dunno about Paste/Pylons, but I've found using wsgiref[0] as a server works
reasonably well - it's single threaded & based on standard library's
SocketServer.  You'll probably also want to disable/minimize any
debugging/uncaught exception handling (the option that gives you a traceback
in your browser) when running under Wing, as they tend to interfere with each
other.

Paste/Pylons/wsgiref & much of the other hot new webbiness all talk a standard
called wsgi and (should be) relatively interoperable.  See
http://www.wsgi.org.

You might also try asking on #pythonpaste & #pylons on freenode IRC[1],
they're quite helpful.

--Pete

[0] - wsgiref is included in Python 2.5, otherwise get it from
http://cheeseshop.python.org/pypi/wsgiref/

[1]- http://freenode.net/

Peter Fein   ||   773-575-0694   ||   pfein at pobox.com
http://www.pobox.com/~pfein/   ||   PGP: 0xCCF6AE6B