[wingide-users] Formatting of documentation in source assistant

Markus Meyer meyer at mesw.de
Mon May 7 03:45:02 MDT 2007

Hi,

I use Wing IDE 2.1.4-2 on Windows. As provided by default, I always have
the source assistant open in a narrow window, because this is very
useful for looking up documentation. However, the formatting of the doc
comment in the source assistant is less than optimal. E.g., when I
formatted a comment like this:

def createFooFromBar(bar):
    """
    This function creates a foo from a bar instance.
    If foo is not valid, a stock bar object will instead
    be returned. This function may throw a
    NoBarAvailableException if the maximum number
    of bars have been exceeded in the system.
    """"
    ... code follows here ...

It shows up in the source assistant like this:

Symbol: createFooFromBar
Likely type: function
mymodule.createFooFromBar(bar)
    This function creates a foo from a bar
instance.
    If foo is not valid, a stock bar object
will instead
    be returned. This function may
throw a
    NoBarAvailableException if the
maximum number
    of bars have been exceeded in the
system.

Needless to say, this wastes space and looks very ugly. I'd prefer if
Wing would understand that the whole docstring is indented and would
therefore remove the indentation prior to displaying it in source
assistant. Also, it would save space if Wing would just ignore the
newlines in paragraphs and format text continuously until it finds a
blank line. Further, it would be absolutely great, if Wing would
understand epydoc comments (@param, @type etc.) and format them
accordingly, but I'm dreaming now ;)

Markus