[wingide-users] Debugger protocol mismatch with version 3 alpha

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Thu May 3 10:08:43 MDT 2007

Luc Bourhis wrote:
> When using the wingdbstub mantra with the version 3 alpha, the GUI
> raises an error window saying:
>
> The debug server protocol version (4) does not match IDE protocol
> version (5). Please update your wingdbstup.py file and debug server
> installation, if debugging remotely.
>
> I was debugging locally and I copied the wingdbstub.py from the version
> 3 alpha directory.

You may have the environment variable WINGHOME set for the old Wing
2.x installation, although that should be ignored if you copied the
installed copy of wingdbstub which hard codes the value.  The code that
sets WINGHOME is just below the setting of the various configuration
variables that start with 'k'.

It could also be that you have another wingdbstub.py that's on the
PYTHONPATH and being imported instead.  Try putting a deliberate
exception in the start of wingdbstub.py to verify you're getting
the right one.

In any case protocol version 4 is Wing 2.1.x, version 5 is 3.0 alpha1,
and version 6 is the just-released 3.0 alpha2 (may be worth upgrading
while you're at it).

Hope that helps.