[wingide-users] Resons not to use Wing

Brandon Cline blcline at Cox.net
Fri Mar 23 00:39:49 MDT 2007

Stephan,

My point wasn't specifically about Twisted or any multi-threaded app.,
just that when programs do unexpected things in Python it can be hard to
tell where the debugger got lost.  Twisted does startup another process,
depending on how it is configured I imagine, and I don't really expect
Wing to be able to handle that, that was more of an annoyance on my end
because I prefer to use the debugger when it is convient, and I spent a
year programming stuff for a Twisted server and had to go without it.
(Note: Twisted can/does make use of threaded code sometimes, just the
main Reactor/Loop is not inherently multi-threaded)

Are you saying that Wing can easily debug a multi-threaded Python
application though?

I haven't had much luck at it, but it may have been a separate issue
like trying to debug into a C module or something.  I just know that for
some Python stuff the debugger gets lost and can't really trace through
certain pieces of code correctly.  It is still the best python debugger
in an IDE that I know of, I just hate to have to resort to using
pdb.set_trace() calls sometimes.

Thanks,
Brandon