[wingide-users] Resons not to use Wing

Brandon Cline blcline at Cox.net
Thu Mar 22 18:08:16 MDT 2007

Hey Michael,

I had almost the exact same situation where I used to work.  I use and
love Wing for Python development but my teammate had Eclipse/PyDev and
swore by it.  My comment on this though is that typically an annoyance
in Eclipse is a couple wasted hours trying to figure something out, and
even then it may not be fixable.  An annoyance in wing is, to me,
something that would be nice if it worked a bit cleaner.  I have yet to
find something in Wing that couldn't be tweaked out of the annoying range.

Anyways, my point of this post I guess was that the things I did notice
and thing would be nice to see in Wing is the whole PyLint/PyChecker
integration of PyDev and the Eclipse editor with click-able errors and
stuff.  Very nice.  Better Source Assistant stuff would be nice as well
but I'm not sure I would want to pay for the extra cpu cycles.

Something interesting that I have found is that having a debugger I
rarely use it, but knowing it is there and being able to step into and
run python code at break points is very nice.  In this direction I have
to say Wing still has the best Python debugger I have seen (aside from
mr. print statement hehe).  A great improvement in this area would be
better handling of breakpoints in relation to multi-threaded beasts and
such.  Unfortunately my last job was using twisted heavily and I could
never get a reliable way to debug through the whole defered/tac file
startup (there may be a way it's just not obvious).

Made some comments below as well.

later
Brandon

Michael Foord wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> This email is meant to be constructive - sorry about the inflammatory
> title, I thought it might get your attention. ;-)
>
> Today I paired with a colleague who normally uses Eclipse. As we were
> working on my machine we used Wing. At the end of the day he gave me a
> list of the things he finds frustrating about Wing, and why he won't
> switch (yet).
>

> #1.   The 'tab' problem. You press tab and it *doesn't indent*. This
> is very frustrating. Smart indent has decided that this is where the
> cursor should be, and when you press tab - you can't *possibly* want
> it to move, it knows best.

Aside from the ctrl-> key to indent, it would be nice to be able to
change this default though (works better than most editors I know of though)
>    In my opinion if the cursor is *already* in the place that smart
> indent would put it, then pressing tab should still indent.
>
> #2. Drag and drop of selected code. Is there any way to turn this off
> ? (there may already be - maybe I just haven't found it.) The number
> of times we accidentally drag the selected text a *tiny* amount and it
> duplicates it... *sigh*

I found a bug in this a bit ago where just selecting text and clicking
into empty space would cause a paste, but I have a feeling that will be
fixed soon if not already.  Drag and Drop is nice when you want it but
annoying when it is unintentional, I prefer to have it bound exclusively
to ctrl/alt drag instead of simple click.  I imagine the world of
windows/linux/mac makes picking a suitable default here difficult.
> #3.  It is hard to open new files from the keyboard. This is really
> the excellent 'shift-ctrl-r' feature that eclipse has that I have
> mentioned before. It makes it much easier to open new files from the
> keyboard.
>
> #4.  Ok so this is a cheat. Eclipse has an excellent feature 'jump to
> method'. Press ctrl-J and it gives you a list of methods in the
> current class and you can jump to them. I say it is a cheat because
> this doesn't work with the free PyDev - but my colleague found it
> invaluable when developing for Java.
>
> #5.  Can't rename files files from within the Wing interface.
>
> #6.  Executing to the console is harder with Wing than with eclipse -
> we have our own scripts to do this (but they aren't yet ideal, we
> haven't really solved the asynchronous output to window problem and we
> can't kill the process from within Wing). Wing's support for executing
> scripts is very tied to the debugger, which obviously isn't ideal for us.

Execute current file seems to work OK here.
I sometimes get the feeling that the differeciation between Pro/Personal
versions and things like Debug Probe makes it hard to add things like
execute in console to Wing without circumventing a powerful tool that is
only in the Pro version.  (Ignore this if I'm wrong though :)