[wingide-users] More Griping :-)

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Thu Mar 22 15:23:55 MDT 2007

Hello all,

By the way, a couple of things I missed of my list of gripes in my
previous emails :

#X.   Occasionally Wing closes files when we are editing multiple ones.
I haven't been able to work out what triggers this, so I haven't
reported it before.

#Y.   There is no drop down list of all the open files from the editor
sub-window. You have to go to the 'Windows' menu item. I believe you
have said that this is a feature that you are adding soon.

Sorry for these, but they are both issues that came up today when
working with my colleague today.

By the way, about the 'execute script to console', I realise that I have
mentioned it before. In the past it has seemed like you (the Wing
developers) feel like it is a low priority and that tying the 'execute'
functionality heavily to the debugger is the best approach.

*However*, a substantial proportion of Python developers I know simply
never (or rarely) use debuggers.

Most other text editors and IDEs I use / have used provide 'launch with
external tool' support, and allow the piping of the output back into a
window (plus support for killing the process). A lot allow then double
clicking on parts of tracebacks to jump to the error line.

These are always features I have found invaluable and having to hack our
way through the Wing API to provide *some* of these features is painful.
SPE for example, provides a multiplicity of ways of executing scripts
being edited - to an external console window (with or without pause
after executing) and into an editor window. (Even Textpad does well on
this score - possibly one reason why my boss won't switch to a 'real' IDE.)

Conceptually these *feel* like they ought to be *easier* to implement
than execution through your debugger, although I realise that life is
never that easy.

Wing has some excellent features (the autocomplete is second to none).
Can I put a plea in for enhanced support for executing scripts.

All the best,

Michael Foord
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/articles.shtml