[wingide-users] Bug in comment/uncomment when in VI mode

Michael Hipp Michael at Hipp.com
Thu Mar 15 19:29:53 MDT 2007

Wingware Support wrote:
> Michael Hipp wrote:
>> I've remapped the Ctrl-/ and Ctrl-? keys to be comment-out-region and
>> uncomment-out-region respectively as these keystrokes are lost when in
>> VI mode.
>>
>> But the preference for 'Retain Select' (Editor -> Advanced ->
>> Selection Policy) is not being obeyed - the selection is canceled
>> afterwards. I'd say this is a bug.
>
> Yes, if you're in visual mode the operation causes exit from visual mode
> and that's in general defined as unselecting in vi I think.  Would you
> want it to stay in visual mode or exit visual mode but retain the
> selection (which seems a bit odd to me but I'm not a vi user)?

Since that operation, to my knowledge, has no equivalent in vi, I think we can
make this up as we go. To me it would be more "consistent" to stay in visual
mode. But I'm hardly a vi expert either so it may be transgressing something
I'm utterly unaware of.

I'd like to hear others chime in.

>> (Long term, it would be nice if these key mappings were pre-existing
>> in VI mode. They're really handy.)
>
> Yes.  Is there a standard vi key stroke that should be used for these?

I don't think there is one. So I'd suggest just keeping Wing's Ctrl-/ and
Ctrl-? when in vi mode.

Thanks,
Michael