[wingide-users] alt-3 / # keyboard problem

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Wed Mar 7 10:36:52 MST 2007

Wingware Support wrote:
> Ewan Klein wrote:
>> I tried your suggestion, but unchecking the "use the system keyboard
>> layout"  preference in the  X11.app doesn't help in Wing IDE (i.e. the
>> combination alt-3 produces no output), and also prevents me from being
>> able to get '#' in an xterm.

Just to follow up for the list, the problem was that the global X11 alt
key was set to the option key.  When this is done, the option key can
not be used as a character composition key to enter # on UK keyboards,
for example.  We will be adding documentation to discourage the use of
option as alt when character composition is needed, which is probably
the case when using a non-US keyboard.

Cheers,