[wingide-users] alt-3 / # keyboard problem

Ewan Klein ewan at inf.ed.ac.uk
Mon Mar 5 02:52:01 MST 2007

On 2 Mar 2007, at 16:56, Wingware Support wrote:

> Ewan Klein wrote:
>> I have an Apple UK keyboard, and also have to use alt-3 to get a
>> '#' symbol. This works fine in an xterm, but not in the Wing IDE
>> editor window. I'm using the OSX personality in the keyboard
>> preferences.
>
> I believe this is caused by the X11.app use system keyboard
> preference being checked.  Please try unchecking it and then
> restarting X11.app & Wing.  Future versions of Wing will probably
> warn when this is not set correctly.

Thanks for the swift response.

I tried your suggestion, but unchecking the "use the system keyboard
layout"  preference in the  X11.app doesn't help in Wing IDE (i.e.
the combination alt-3 produces no output), and also prevents me from
being able to get '#' in an xterm. On the other hand, I found that I
keep the "use the system keyboard layout"  preference checked and
also select the US locale option from the Apple Input menu, then
hitting the '£' symbol on my keyboard (i.e. shift-3) does allow me to
get '#' in the Wing IDE editor. This is OK as a workaround, but I
would be curious to know if there's a better solution.

Regards,

Ewan