Hanging between breakpoints-- was :Re: [wingide-users] Debugging zope with wing3

Dominic Hiles Dominic.Hiles at bristol.ac.uk
Mon Jun 18 02:28:12 MDT 2007

Dear All,

--On 15 June 2007 13:49 -0400 Wingware Support <support at wingware.com> wrote:

> Rex Turnbull wrote:
>> Dominic Hiles writes:
>>> Unrelated, I'm seeing more frequent occurrences of Wing "hanging" at
>>> 100% CPU whilst debugging in Zope - it always returns, but there can
>>> be pauses of a minute or two between each breakpoint. I recall seeing
>>> some reference to problems when debugging objects with a C
>>> ExtensionClass as their base - I guess this may account for it, but
>>> was curious to know if there are any other known explanations (and
>>> whether other users find the same).
>>>
>> I do notice some hanging as well, this is almost always related to me
>> having the Stack Data Tool open and too many complex variables in scope
>> and is not related to Zope.
>> Perhaps simply opening another Tool instead of the Stack Data will help.
>
> In this case, we'ld be quite interested in knowing what value it is.
> Wing tries to gently inspect values and value size so that it doesn't
> end up taking forever to pack up debug data to send to the IDE.  But
> it's an incredibly tricky thing to get right, and it may be there's
> some type of value in Zope now that Wing doesn't recognize as
> large.

Thanks for that suggestion, Rex - I almost always tend to have the Stack
Data window open, so this may well be what's responsible.  I'll see if I
can pin down any problematic values in the Zope context and get back to
Wingware Support if I do.

Cheers,

Dominic

Dominic Hiles
Senior Technical Researcher
Internet Development Group
Institute for Learning and Research Technology
University of Bristol