Hanging between breakpoints-- was :Re: [wingide-users] Debugging zope with wing3

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Fri Jun 15 11:49:12 MDT 2007

Rex Turnbull wrote:
> Dominic Hiles writes:
>> Unrelated, I'm seeing more frequent occurrences of Wing "hanging" at
>> 100% CPU whilst debugging in Zope - it always returns, but there can
>> be pauses of a minute or two between each breakpoint. I recall seeing
>> some reference to problems when debugging objects with a C
>> ExtensionClass as their base - I guess this may account for it, but
>> was curious to know if there are any other known explanations (and
>> whether other users find the same).
>>
> I do notice some hanging as well, this is almost always related to me
> having the Stack Data Tool open and too many complex variables in scope
> and is not related to Zope.
> Perhaps simply opening another Tool instead of the Stack Data will help.

In this case, we'ld be quite interested in knowing what value it is.
Wing tries to gently inspect values and value size so that it doesn't
end up taking forever to pack up debug data to send to the IDE.  But
it's an incredibly tricky thing to get right, and it may be there's
some type of value in Zope now that Wing doesn't recognize as
large.

And yes, indeed, extension modules tend to be the ones that define
values that act weirdly or fall down when they get exercised by
our debugger code to extract data values.  If we do something that
never happens otherwise to the code, we may reveal bugs not
seen outside of our debugger (including, alas, crashing).