[wingide-users] Debugging zope with wing3

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Fri Jun 15 08:28:38 MDT 2007

Danny Bloemendaal wrote:
> Ok, today I decided to give 3.0 a try. All looks nice but debugging zope
> turned out to be virtually impossible. When I want to step through code
> I end up in seemingly random places. So I step through some code, press
> F6 and expect to end up on the next line but instead I jump to
> completely different places after which I cannot see in the stack where
> I am. I completely lose track. And the debugger seems to listen to all
> ports which makes it hardly impossible to access zope outside the debug
> process while debugging some other zope/plone code. And it makes
> everything go sooo slowly.

Yes, there are still some problems debugging Zope if you use WingDBG.
You could debug it without WingDBG under Wing 3.0, and it may work
reasonably in some cases if you also set the Stop All Threads option
in Project Properties (under the Debug tab) to Stop One Thread.  However,
it still could stop on a breakpoint in any thread so doesn't act quite
the same as in Wing 2.1.  The Stop One Thread option causes Wing to stop
only one thread at a time, but it still has its tracer in all of them
and may be slow if there are a lot of threads.

I'm not sure what the jumping around you saw was, unless threads were
context switching as you stepped through the code.

We're working on it... most likely the way to debug Zope will continue
to be with WingDBG and we'll fix that to work on only one thread as
before.