[wingide-users] AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute '__path__'

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Fri Jun 8 08:34:33 MDT 2007

Ebaugh, Christian M wrote:
> AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute '__path__'
>
> Traceback (innermost last):
>
> File "C:\D3\D3_dbp_chris\D3\Projects\DPMS\LoadGPV\DPMSGPV.py", line 1,
> in <module>
> File "C:\D3\D3_dbp_chris\D3\Projects\DPMS\LoadGPV\DPMSGPV.py", line 2,
> in <module>
>   from ETLJob import *
> File "C:\D3\D3_dbp_chris\D3\Infra\D33D\pylib\ETLJob.py", line 35, in
> <module>
>   import d33d
> File "C:\D3\D3_dbp_chris\D3\Infra\D33D\pylib\d33d.py", line 43, in <module>
>   import smtplib
> File "C:\Python25\Lib\smtplib.py", line 49, in <module>
>   from email.base64MIME import encode as encode_base64
> File "C:\Python25\Lib\email\__init__.py", line 82, in __getattr__
>   return getattr(mod, name)

I'm fairly sure this is an exception that always happens normally at
runtime and is handled and cleared in a way that Wing can't see so
it's reporting it as an exception you may want to know about.  You
can check "Ignore this Exception Location" in the Exceptions tool
and Continue and Wing will remember this in your project file.

There is more information on this here:

http://wingware.com/doc/debug/managing-exceptions

Note that in the next release of Wing 3.0 we're changing the default
exception handling mode to the new "When Printed" mode, which should
avoid this kind of problem while still providing decent exception
handling in most environments.

The default mode in 2.1 is "Immediately if Appear Unhandled" which
has the advantage of letting you step through finally and except
clauses that might be there, and the disadvantage that it's not
possible to determine with complete accuracy how an exception will
be handled until more code is executed so Wing sometimes reports
exceptions that are normal.

If that doesn't help, please let us know.