[wingide-users] Odd behavior under 3.0a3 and TurboGears/SQLAlchemy

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Mon Jul 23 08:37:23 MDT 2007

Dirk Fromhein wrote:
> I'm a bit confused by an error we are seeing under Wing 3.0a3 (and 2.1
> actually also) and TurboGears/SQLAlchemy 1.02 in the PythonShell tab
> panel when I execute:
>  >>> from turbogears.database import metadata, session
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "C:\src\SiteManager\sitemanager\<string>", line 1, in ?
>  File
> "c:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\TurboGears-1.0.2.2-py2.4.egg\turbogears\__init__.py",
> line 6, in ?
>    from turbogears.controllers import expose, flash, validate, redirect, \
>  File
> "c:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\TurboGears-1.0.2.2-py2.4.egg\turbogears\controllers.py",
> line 8, in ?
>    from dispatch import generic, strategy, functions
>  File
> "C:\Python24\lib\site-packages\ruledispatch-0.5a0.dev_r2306-py2.4-win32.egg\dispatch\functions.py",
> line 126, in ?
>  File
> "C:\Python24\lib\site-packages\ruledispatch-0.5a0.dev_r2306-py2.4-win32.egg\dispatch\functions.py",
> line 433, in Dispatcher
> AttributeError: 'function' object has no attribute 'when'
>
> However, if I execute "from turbogears.database import metadata,
> session" in IDLE or the python shell in a terminal window I get no
> errors and everything seems to work just fine.

Turns out this is an obscure bug in Python's debug tracer code.  Wing's
shell runs with the debug tracer installed and brings out the bug.  I
was able to run the same code in Wing's debugger without problems, but
that's a detail of how the invocation happens in each case.  We've
seen the same bug in other parts of Turbogears under the debugger
as well.

I believe the bug has been fixed in Python sources but I don't know
if it's been fixed in a release (would be in 2.5.1 if anything).