[wingide-users] Key mapping.

SirJSR sirjsr at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 02:38:00 MST 2007

I have a hard time reaching up to the escape key to enter command mode, or
should I say I don't want to reach that far.  This one thing kept me away
from vi, vim, gvim for a long time.  And, I already have a little carpal
tunnel syndrome going, and there's no way I am going to use Emacs---my hand
wouldn't survive a weak.

In my C:\Program Files\Vim directory, in my "_gvimrc" I put this command,
below:

"map! ii <esc>"

... which allows me to exit insert mode by pressing the i key twice.  If you
press the i key once, wait a second, then press the i key again, it does not
take you out of insert mode, but types out "ii".  But how many time does one
need "ii".  So, the net effect is that the "i" key becomes kind of a toggle
key.  Never have to take your hand of the keyboard, and only one finger has
to reach just above the home row.

All kinds of way to do it:  http://www.vim.org/tips/tip.php?tip_id=285

Jim

> Instead of using "Escape" to enter command mode when using Vim or
> gVim, I use "ii"  ( that is, small cap " i " -twice.)
>
> Is there away to map this in Vi mode in Wingide Personal?  I tried it
> and it didn't work.

I'm not sure I'm following -- from what mode to what mode does ii work in
vim?
Is this a default binding in vim that should work?

I'm not managing to make this work in vim 6.4.6.  Pointing me to the
relevant docs page should be enough.