[wingide-users] Python path & path problems

SirJSR sirjsr at gmail.com
Mon Jan 29 14:37:15 MST 2007

I am just beginning to use the Wing IDE Personal, and I am new to python.

I am trying to use the "import" command at the interactive prompt.  I have
simple scripts that work in the IDE, but when I go to the interactive shell
and enter "import filename" I get a response that the file cannot be found:

    Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in <string>
ImportError: No module named chaos

I have read as much as I can about paths, Pythonpath, etc., but I can't get
it to work.  I also have Cygwin, and if use that shell, and by changing the
directory to to where my scripts are located, I can use the "import" command
successfully.

I have tried adding to my Windows XP Path variable the following:

C:\Python25;C:\Python25\DLLs;C:\Python25\Lib;C:\Python25\Lib\lib-tk;C:\Pytho
n25\Lib\compiler;

    and the following directory listings to where I keep the scripts (they
are actually in the last entry):

    C:\cygwin\bin;C:\cygwin\home\ "me-the
user)";C:\cygwin\home\"me-user"\bin;C:\cygwin\home\"me-user)"\python;

I also created a "Pythonpath" variable:

C:\Python25;C:\Python25\DLLs;C:\Python25\Lib;C:\Python25\Lib\lib-tk;C:\Pytho
n25\Lib\compiler

None of this seems to do the trick.  As you can see, I've added everything
under the sun.  Do I need all these entries?

I've Googled for the proper solution, and I haven't been able to get it.

For informational purposes, how does the "Pythonpath" differ from the system
path.  Is it just a subset, does it replace that part of they system Path,
etc?  Why is it necessary?

Any help would be appreciated.

Jim Roberts