[wingide-users] The dreaded black box

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Sun Jan 14 10:57:56 MST 2007

Michael Hipp wrote:
> My application must run a DOS (console) app to accomplish certain
> things. It uses subprocess.Popen("consoleapp.exe") to accomplish the
> task. It runs fine but pops an ugly "DOS black box" on top of everything
> until it terminates - but only when run outside Wing. When run inside
> Wing the output is captured by Wing and no "black box" ever appears.
>
> Two questions:
> - How does Wing suppress the "black box"?

Are you referring to the "black box" for your application or for the
subprocess run from your application?  If it's the latter, it may be
suppressed as a side-effect of how stdin & stdout are set up.

> - Can I turn this behavior on/off so my app behaves the same inside &
> outside Wing?

I think you want to explicitly suppress the console by supplying
creationflags, which is essentially how Wing does it internally.

Cheers,