[wingide-users] import error ("no module named <bla>"), with Plone 2.1.1 on Mac OS X

Martijn Pieters mj at zopatista.com
Fri Feb 9 00:34:15 MST 2007

On 8. feb. 2007, at 17.23, T. Kim Nguyen wrote:
> Hi - I've been wrestling with the project properties to try to stop
> getting import errors when I debug Plone 2.1.1 on Mac OS X.
>
> When I checked the box in Project Properties to add Zope/Plone
> support, I tried setting the Zope2 instance home to the ZOPE_HOME
> value given in my Zope control panel:

<...>

> When I click on Apply, WingIDE gives me this error dialog box:

<...>
> I tried a few other values for Zope2 instance home.  The only one
> that did not result in this error dialog box is "/Applications/
> Plone2/Sites/Default" (ie. the parent of my Plone "Products"
> directory)

That's correct, that's the instance home. It's also the directory
with the 'etc' sub directory with the zope.conf file Wing needs to
determine all the paths.

> However, once I start debugging, I get these import errors everywhere:
>
>> ImportError: No module named CMFCore.utils
>
> the offending lines being at the top of files that run fine within
> Zope/Plone as long as I'm not trying to use WingIDE debugging:
>
>> from Products.CMFCore.utils import getToolByName
>
> In the Project Properties, I had tried to leave the Python Path to
> "use default", but then have since tried this custom value
>
>> /Applications/Plone2/Library/Software/Zope278/Zope/lib/python:/
>> Applications/Plone2/Sites/Default:/Applications/Plone2/Sites/
>> Default/Products
>
> and several other variations of the same, but continue to get the
> import errors.

Wing's Zope support is needed to support the source analyzer; it does
not alter the python path for you when debugging however. Zope 2
hacks around with paths to support multiple Products directories, and
Wing's analyzer needs to take that into account.

To run Zope/Plone tests, use the zope test runner, as described in an
earlier email to this list:

   http://wingware.com/pipermail/wingide-users/2007-January/004068.html

(note that it forgets to mention that you'll need to add test.py (in
Zope278/Zope/bin) to your project first).

Martijn Pieters