[wingide-users] .pri Files for .NET (autocomplete for .NET classes when using IronPython)

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Thu Feb 8 15:16:58 MST 2007

Wingware Support wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-02-08 at 21:59 +0000, Michael Foord wrote:
>
>> Wing uses .pri files for its autocomplete. (IIRC)
>>

> Actually, they are *.pi (close tho ;-).
>

>> We'd love autocomplete for .NET classes. The current tool for generating
>> .pri files uses "inspect.get_argspec" (which doesn't work in IronPython)
>> and so would need a bit of work (like adding references to assemblies)
>> to work with IronPython.
>>
>> It occurs to us that an alternative approach might be for us to generate
>> pri files for *all* the .NET classes in one go.
>>
>> Is this a viable approach?
>>
>> By which I mean - does Wing load *all* the .pri files into memory. Would
>> creating a huge set of them be *likely* to impact performance of Wing ?
>>

> Wing reads them on the fly as needed, not all at once, so it sounds fine
> to do it this way.

Great - that's good news.

> I'm not sure what to do about missing inspect.get_argspec, though.  You
> may need to generate the *.pi's in a way specific to .NET.  If you do
> it, I'm sure other users would be happy to get a copy of the script! ;-)

Seo has provided a patched version which skips the (broken) checking of
varargs and varkeywargs from the standard library version. (Which does
bytecode inspection and so hasn't a hope in heck of working on alternate
implementations of Python).

We'd have to see what else needs changing - but probably not too much.

Michael
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/articles.shtml