[wingide-users] .pri Files for .NET (autocomplete for .NET classes when using IronPython)

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Thu Feb 8 15:09:26 MST 2007

On Thu, 2007-02-08 at 21:59 +0000, Michael Foord wrote:
> Wing uses .pri files for its autocomplete. (IIRC)

Actually, they are *.pi (close tho ;-).

> We'd love autocomplete for .NET classes. The current tool for generating
> .pri files uses "inspect.get_argspec" (which doesn't work in IronPython)
> and so would need a bit of work (like adding references to assemblies)
> to work with IronPython.
>
> It occurs to us that an alternative approach might be for us to generate
> pri files for *all* the .NET classes in one go.
>
> Is this a viable approach?
>
> By which I mean - does Wing load *all* the .pri files into memory. Would
> creating a huge set of them be *likely* to impact performance of Wing ?

Wing reads them on the fly as needed, not all at once, so it sounds fine
to do it this way.

I'm not sure what to do about missing inspect.get_argspec, though.  You
may need to generate the *.pi's in a way specific to .NET.  If you do
it, I'm sure other users would be happy to get a copy of the script! ;-)

Wingware
Wing IDE for Python