[wingide-users] Find File - Feature Request

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Thu Feb 8 14:54:37 MST 2007

Wingware Support wrote:
> Michael Foord wrote:
>> It looks like my boss is about to splash out for three Wing licenses,
>> so at last some of us will be using Wing at Resolver.
>
> Great!

It took a while. :-)

>> One *really* nice feature of Eclipse is the shift-ctrl-R find file
>> feature.
>>
>> This brings up a dialog with a textbox. As you start typing a
>> filename (not a path name) it fills the dialog with all the files
>> from your project that match the name.
>
> Yes, this sounds like a good idea.  It's not the same, but you may
> want to try "open from keyboard" in Wing (ctrl-K in default keymap),
> which lets you enter a filename with completion.  It's what I use to
> open files.

Yes, it's nice (but I'd forgotten the shortcut, so thanks). You have to
edit the full path though, so it isn't a patch on the eclipse version
(which will sort by filename through all the files in your project). ;-)

The Wing autocomplete and go-to-definition are fantastic features
though, I appreciate them a great deal. (Thought I'd throw some good
news in there as well.)

>> The eclipse extract method is also very intelligent (adding the
>> correct arguments and return values). My trial has expired and I
>> can't remember if Wing has an extract method tool, but I guess a lot
>> of work has gone in to the Eclipse refactoring stuff.
>
> Refactoring is something we intend to support in the future, but don't
> have explicit support for it currently.
Sure.

Integrating Bicycle Repair Man support via scripting would be a nice
interim measure. When we get time at Resolver we'll look into it.

A toolbar for user scripts would be a nice idea. I've never seen it, but
allegedly Komodo has some feature like this.

Michael
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/articles.shtml