[wingide-users] Source Analysis issue with Plone Package files

Martijn Pieters mj at zopatista.com
Tue Dec 11 14:26:09 MST 2007

On 11. des.. 2007, at 01.31, Andrew D. Fields wrote:
> Now, if I add the “eggs\plone.app.content-1.0.1-py2.4.egg” dir to my
> PYTHONPATH, Source Analysis seems to properly process *all* the
> files as it should, however, if I then add “eggs
> \plone.app.contentmenu-1.0.3-py2.4.egg” it *only* processes the
> first one.  This seems to be the case for *all* files where the
> namespace is “duplicated” at the top level.
> To fix this, I wrote a little script that “flattens” the entire egg
> dir (not optimum, but it works) and I confirmed that that solves the
> issue.

The problem is nested namespaces, a feature of setuptools that Wing
doesn't yet support. Normally, anything in the 'plone.app' namespace
should also live in the same directory, but nested namespaces like
plone.app pull a special trick in their __init__.py files making
separate directories work.

See http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/setuptools#namespace-packages

This is the dynamic nature of python at work, and import path mangling
like this is not directly supported by Wing's analyser.

Martijn Pieters