[wingide-users] auto completed prompt from current file?

Jaime Wyant programmer.py at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 13:40:38 MST 2007

I'm not worried so much about inference, but if I could get xemacs'
`dabbrev-expand` feature, that would be just as good imo.

Some documentation on this is below.  But the gist of it is, I type a word
out partially, hit alt-/ and xemacs autocompletes based on the closest
match.  For instance assume, you have these lines in your source file
somewhere.

_some_global_var = None
_some_other_global_var = None

Now, assume you're typing in xemacs and have typed:

_some

If you press alt-/ (use dabbrev-expand), then it will autocomplete your
`word` as:
_some_other_global_var

If you want _some_global_var, you press alt-/ again, and it finds the next
`word` that begins with _some which is _some_global_var.

I hope that makes sense.  If not, then maybe the documentation below does.

dabbrev-expand's Documentation:
Expand previous word "dynamically".

Expands to the most recent, preceding word for which this is a prefix.
If no suitable preceding word is found, words following point are
considered.  If still no suitable word is found, then look in the
buffers accepted by the function pointed out by variable
`dabbrev-friend-buffer-function'.

A positive prefix argument, N, says to take the Nth backward *distinct*
possibility.  A negative argument says search forward.

If the cursor has not moved from the end of the previous expansion and
no argument is given, replace the previously-made expansion
with the next possible expansion not yet tried.

The variable `dabbrev-backward-only' may be used to limit the
direction of search to backward if set non-nil.

See also `dabbrev-abbrev-char-regexp' and M-C-/.

jw

--
"Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them."
Ronald Reagan