[wingide-users] auto completed prompt from current file?

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Fri Dec 7 10:47:58 MST 2007

Wingware Support wrote:
> sunqiang wrote:
>> for example foo = bar().
>> foo(the return value of bar()) is a string.  wingide can't figure it
>> as a string, so it can't give auto complete prompt such as
>> foo.startswith....
>> but after i write foo.startswith, could wingide ust this for the
>> second time of "startswith"?
>
> Wing currently does not do this because there's a possibility that the
> first use of .startswith is a mistake and it requires more indication
> that foo has an attribute named 'startswith'.
>
> We have thought of adding an option to enable the type inferencer to
> guess a bit more.  For example, it might identify foo as probably
> being a string since a standard string method was seen.  This would
> introduce more opportunity for errors since a non string instance
> could have a method named 'startswith', but on balance be helpful.
> Any option like this would be introduced in future Wing versions.

This would be really helpful. We often use Wing with .NET classes (for
which Wing can't infer methods of course). I often find myself thinking
- 'for goodness sake this is the third time I've used this attribute -
why don't you *know* that it exists' !! :-)

I still say that the Wing autocomplete is one of its outstanding
features though.

Michael
http://www.manning.com/foord