[wingide-users] A simple question

Pete pfein at pobox.com
Fri Aug 31 02:58:59 MDT 2007

On Friday August 31 2007 2:00 am, Virgil Stokes wrote:
> I am using Wing IDE 2.1 and find it very useful. However, one things
> bothers me. Suppose I wish to have a "clean" exit/escape from a program
> that I am running in the IDE --- what Python code/expression do I need
> to have to accomplish this. By "clean" I mean no error messages generated.

On Linux, we set up our apps to catch SIGTERM:

http://dpaste.com/18240/

import signal

def install_signal_handler(self):
    """install a handler for SIGTERM, providing clean shutdown"""
    def signal_handler(foo, bar):
        sys.stderr.write("Got SIGTERM, shutting down")
        self.shutdown()

    return signal.signal(signal.SIGTERM, signal_handler)

where self is the object that takes over from your main().

IIRC Wing has a menu that allows sending signals to the debug process.  Using
SIGTERM to mean please quit/exit/shutdown is standard UNIX - works with init
scripts, kill/top, etc..

Peter Fein   ||   773-575-0694   ||   pfein at pobox.com
http://www.pobox.com/~pfein/   ||   PGP: 0xCCF6AE6B
irc: pfein at freenode.net   ||   jabber: peter.fein at gmail.com