[wingide-users] Debugger & Python shell?

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Tue Aug 21 20:31:38 MDT 2007

Timothy Reaves wrote:
>     Is there any way to allow debugging through the Python shell?  I'd
> really rather not write code, when I could drop down to the shell,
> import the module, and do something with it.  I tried that, with a
> breakpoint in my code, and of course nothing happens.

Wing's debugger works best when you run code in a file; you can use the
debug probe to interact with your program when it is stopped at a
breakpoint or at an exception or paused.

To respond to your other two questions: imports should work if modules
one.py and two.py are in the same directory and 1 of them is the file
run in the debugger.  This works because the 1st item in sys.path is the
name of the directory they are in.  When running in the interactive
shell, sys.path is set up differently so they may or may not import.

If an indent manager is failing to convert a file, please send the file
to support at wingware.com so we can see if there's a bug.