[wingide-users] feature suggestion: completion+merging

David Montgomery davidlmontgomery at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 15:11:35 MDT 2007

On 8/3/07, Wingware Support <support at wingware.com> wrote:
> I've implemented and telepathically updated your computer with
> this feature. ;-)
>
> Go into preferences under Editor / Autocompletion and change
> the Completion Mode preference to Replace Existing Symbol.
>
> I find it whomps on things more than I like.  If you have ideas
> on how to improve it, please let me know.

OK, I've been playing with this, and I agree, it overwrites too much.

For example, I was just wrapping a call like this:
    x = obj.function(1, 2, 3)
to become this:
    x = wrapper(obj.function(1, 2, 3))

My cursor was before obj. I typed 'w' for wrapper and then
autocompleted, which overwrote obj to give:
    x = wrapper.function(1,2,3)

For this case, what I would want is to have:
    x = wrapper|obj.function(1,2,3)
where '|' indicates the cursor, and I just need to enter the parens.

More generally, what I'm thinking of is

if replace_existing_symbol_is_set and \
text_about_to_be_inserted.endswith(text_after_cursor_til_word_end):
    delete_text_after_cursor_til_word_end()
    insert_text_about_to_be_inserted()
else:
    insert_text_about_to_be_inserted()