[wingide-users] feature suggestion: completion+merging

Pete pfein at pobox.com
Fri Aug 3 09:46:02 MDT 2007

On Friday August 3 2007 10:24 am, Wingware Support wrote:
> David Montgomery wrote:
> > Let's say we have the following two variables in scope:
> >  child_foobar
> >  parent_foobar
> >
> > Let's say we copy some code that works with child_foobar,
> > and we're now modifying it to use parent_foobar.
> >
> > Let's say we select "child" of the copied "child_foobar", and
> > we begin to type "parent".  After typing 'p' and 'a', we'll have
> > text like "pa|_foobar" (where "|" indicates the cursor).  And
> > we'll have the completion box offering to complete "parent_foobar".
> >
> > If we select that completion, we'll get "parent_foobar_foobar".
> >
> > What would be nice is if Wing realized that the string it was
> > inserting ("rent_foobar") ended with the rest of the word after
> > the cursor ("_foobar"), and it merged these two to give just
> > "parent_foobar".
> >
> > I remember Visual Assist doing this, and I really appreciated
> > it when they put it in.
>
> I've implemented and telepathically updated your computer with
> this feature. ;-)
>
> Go into preferences under Editor / Autocompletion and change
> the Completion Mode preference to Replace Existing Symbol.
>
> I find it whomps on things more than I like.  If you have ideas
> on how to improve it, please let me know.

Yup, it does clobber things when I'd rather it didn't sometimes.  What would
be awesome is a "Smart Mode", that implements Replace for David's case and
Insert the rest of the time.

Even sexier would be suffix-aware completion.  From above, "pa|_foobar" would
only show (or preselect) "parent_foobar", and not "pants".

Just a thought.

Peter Fein   ||   773-575-0694   ||   pfein at pobox.com
http://www.pobox.com/~pfein/   ||   PGP: 0xCCF6AE6B
irc: pfein at freenode.net   ||   jabber: peter.fein at gmail.com