[wingide-users] feature suggestion: completion+merging

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Fri Aug 3 09:24:55 MDT 2007

David Montgomery wrote:
> Let's say we have the following two variables in scope:
>  child_foobar
>  parent_foobar
>
> Let's say we copy some code that works with child_foobar,
> and we're now modifying it to use parent_foobar.
>
> Let's say we select "child" of the copied "child_foobar", and
> we begin to type "parent".  After typing 'p' and 'a', we'll have
> text like "pa|_foobar" (where "|" indicates the cursor).  And
> we'll have the completion box offering to complete "parent_foobar".
>
> If we select that completion, we'll get "parent_foobar_foobar".
>
> What would be nice is if Wing realized that the string it was
> inserting ("rent_foobar") ended with the rest of the word after
> the cursor ("_foobar"), and it merged these two to give just
> "parent_foobar".
>
> I remember Visual Assist doing this, and I really appreciated
> it when they put it in.

I've implemented and telepathically updated your computer with
this feature. ;-)

Go into preferences under Editor / Autocompletion and change
the Completion Mode preference to Replace Existing Symbol.

I find it whomps on things more than I like.  If you have ideas
on how to improve it, please let me know.