[wingide-users] Debugger ignores a project's PYTHONPATH?

Joe Friedrichsen pengi.films at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 16:53:49 MDT 2007

Hi folks, a new (this week!) Wing IDE user here writing with a simple question.

I'm using Wing IDE Professional 3.0.0-b1 (rev 16026) on a Debian Etch
system and am having a small problem with the debugger: it seems to
ignore the PYTHONPATH setting as given in the project's properties.

I'm working on a small application made up of a one Python script and
a few Python modules. The script uses the classes defined in the
modules to go about its job. Following the tutorial's advice [1], I
created a project for my application and set a custom PYTHONPATH to
point to my source tree's module directory as an absolute path
(/home/me/src/app/trunk/app/module_name). I'm using distutils to
package and install the application, so the layout (cropped for
relevance) is:

|-- module_name
|   |-- mod1.py
|   |-- mod2.py
|   `-- __init__.py
|-- scripts
|   `-- script_name
`-- setup.py

With the custom path set, the Python shell in Wing IDE can find and
import my modules even though they aren't installed on the system. The
Source Assistant can also find my module files. However, the debugger
cannot. When starting the debugger, my script catches the ImportError
and tells me it cannot find my module. So in my current setup, the
custom path is being used by the in-IDE shell but not the debugger.

My goal is to debug the application without having to (re-)install the
module files with every change. And it appears from the Wing IDE
documentation that the debugger should use the PYTHONPATH given in the
project properties [2], but I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong.
If anyone has a suggestion or correction, I'd be grateful.

Following a thread from the archives, I cleaned out my old .pyc files
[3] and double-checked that my path was absolute, but the problem
persists. What should I try next?

Thanks,
Joe

[1] http://wingware.com/doc/intro/tutorial-setup-project