[wingide-users] feature request: window list window with checkboxes for closing

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Mon Apr 16 09:08:09 MDT 2007

David Montgomery wrote:
> I find that as I work gradually more and more editor windows
> are open.  After completing a chunk of work I like to close
> the windows that are unrelated to my next task.  It is tedious
> to control-tab to get to a dozen windows or so to close each one
> (while leaving a small number open).  Once one of the windows
> comes up that I want to keep, i have to do control-tab once for
> each window I want to close; once I've hit two I want to keep
> I have to hit control-tab twice, etc.
>
> In Visual Studio they have a nice feature where you can bring
> up (from the Window menu) a window which lists all the open
> windows.  The contents are similar to the list that shows in
> Wings Window menu.  But the great addition is that they all
> have check boxes, so you can check or uncheck them rapidly,
> and then click a button to get rid of the windows you don't want
> anymore.

Yes, we need to add (or rather re-add) the window list feature.
It existed in Wing 1.1 but was lost in the total rewrite to 2.0.
I've found myself wanting it also and have settled in "Close Others"
as a poor approximation of what I really want.

> I have the idea that I might be able to get some of the functionality
> I want from Wing's stickpin feature.  It seems what I would need
> is a way to say "close all transient files".  Right now my transient
> threshold is 1.  I have to say I don't understand how this is supposed
> to work ... as I click through my currently open windows, they all
> show the stickpin pushed in.  On the other hand, if I right click on
> a stickpin, several of these same open files are shown in the list
> in blue with the stickpin pulled out.  I would expect the stickpin in
> the list to match the stickpin on the window frame.

I think we're failing to update that history and the stickpin there
is showing the state of the file when it was first opened.  Thanks
for the bug report.

If you do go through and unstick a bunch of files they should just close
on their own after you open another non-sticky file.  There isn't a
close non-sticky option, though that wouldn't be bad to have either.