[wingide-users] feature request: window list window with checkboxes for closing

David Montgomery davidlmontgomery at gmail.com
Sat Apr 14 12:31:17 MDT 2007

Hi,

I find that as I work gradually more and more editor windows
are open.  After completing a chunk of work I like to close
the windows that are unrelated to my next task.  It is tedious
to control-tab to get to a dozen windows or so to close each one
(while leaving a small number open).  Once one of the windows
comes up that I want to keep, i have to do control-tab once for
each window I want to close; once I've hit two I want to keep
I have to hit control-tab twice, etc.

In Visual Studio they have a nice feature where you can bring
up (from the Window menu) a window which lists all the open
windows.  The contents are similar to the list that shows in
Wings Window menu.  But the great addition is that they all
have check boxes, so you can check or uncheck them rapidly,
and then click a button to get rid of the windows you don't want
anymore.

I have the idea that I might be able to get some of the functionality
I want from Wing's stickpin feature.  It seems what I would need
is a way to say "close all transient files".  Right now my transient
threshold is 1.  I have to say I don't understand how this is supposed
to work ... as I click through my currently open windows, they all
show the stickpin pushed in.  On the other hand, if I right click on
a stickpin, several of these same open files are shown in the list
in blue with the stickpin pulled out.  I would expect the stickpin in
the list to match the stickpin on the window frame.

Thanks,
David