[wingide-users] Need help debugging external program

xenarcher nickl at volition-inc.com
Tue Apr 10 16:55:38 MDT 2007

I followed the directions for debugging an externally called Python script
according to the " http://www.wingware.com/doc/debug/importing-the-debugger
Importing the Debugger " help page. However, nothing is happening in the
Wing IDE.

I wrote a small test program in C that basically initializes Python and runs
a Python script called "wingide_test01.py". The code for the C program is as
follows:

#include <Python.h>

#define INPUT_FILE	"wingide_test01.py"

void main()
{
	Py_Initialize();

	FILE *fp = fopen(INPUT_FILE, "rt");
	PyRun_SimpleFile(fp, INPUT_FILE);

	Py_Finalize();
}

The Python script actually contains an infinite loop, so Py_Finalize() is
never actually called. The contents of the script are as follows:

import wingdbstub

while True:
	print "hello"
	for i in range(0, 100000):
		pass

I've selected the "Enable Passive Listen" option in the Wing IDE preferences
and copied the wingdbstub.py file to the same directory as my test
application. When I run the test application, there's no indication that the
Wing IDE detects test application running. Is there something else I'm
supposed to do? I've tried loading my tests script, wingide_test01.py, in
the IDE and setting breakpoints, but that doesn't seem to do anything.

Please help!