[wingide-users] Feature requests

Vania Smrkovski vania at pandorasdream.com
Wed Sep 13 19:34:14 MDT 2006

Micro$oft has a feature very like your #1 request.  In some of their office
products, and their Visual Studio products, you can hold down the ALT key
and drag-rect, and you have a square of the color of your defined highlight
color, and all text within the bounds of the rectangle are selected.

Of course, I imagine they have a fair amount of business logic involved with
how to define partially covered characters, line-endings, etc....

But from a user's point of view, I have found it invaluable.

One use-case scenario involves taking a block of code that applies to more
than one area, say a series of SQL parameters, or width and height
parameters for graphical objects.  If the code is well-organized, then
usually the = sign is almost at the same position, and if you're re-using
the code on the right side or the left side, you can drag-rect over the code
on the other side of the = sign and you are more than half way to getting
your new lines of code customized to their new use.

It's useful in cases where abstracting code to functions simply isn't
practical but you're still afraid of the bugs that can occur with boiler
plate copy-paste code re-use.