[wingide-users] Encoding/codec issue

Sheila King sheila at thinkspot.net
Sun Sep 10 16:10:57 MDT 2006

On Sep 10, 2006, at 3:06 PM, Wingware Support wrote:

> Sheila King wrote:
>> OK, and when I use an alternate text editor to make and save the
>> changes,
>> and then Wing prompts me to reload the file, which I do, I get
>> this error
>> message:
>> Could not convert file (full file path here) when reading it --
>> the codec
>> for the '&' text encoding could not be found. Trying the default
>> encoding 'cp1252' instead.
>
> Could you send the file is question to support at wingware.com?  It
> sounds like Wing 2.1 is misinterpreting part of the file as an
> encoding specification.

I went to examine the file to see if I could sent it to you (it is
sort of proprietary) and when reviewing the file, I found the
following line had been inserted at the top:

I have no idea how it got there...but I was fumbling around on my
laptop this morning with the tiny screen and lots of apps open, so I
guess I did something stupid.

> Also, the ignore exception functionality should be unchanged in
> 2.1, so please submit a bug report from the help menu and include
> the error-log.

I'm working on my iMac now this afternoon, which is not exhibiting
this behavior. The next time I work on my Win2K laptop, if I continue
to have this problem, I will send along the information to you...

--
Sheila King
http://www.thinkspot.net/sheila/