[wingide-users] Selecting text with keyboard shouldn't set X11 selection

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Wed Sep 6 09:08:46 MDT 2006

Peter Fein wrote:
> Here's the problem:  Wing appears to set the X11 selection for text selected
> with the keyboard (shift-arrows, etc), as well as by the mouse.  While I
> hesitate to call this outright wrong, it's certainly different than every
> other program I've used.

We could look at this, though the behavior is part of scintilla and thus
is common to all apps that use scintilla.  And even if we modified
scintilla, selections in other widget would still claim the X11 wide
selection.

> Actually, on further investigation, this appears to be an open question.  Most
> relevant thread:
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xdg/2004-June/004128.html
> So I guess I'm requesting QT-style behavior. ;)

But mozilla & openoffice do things the other way...  My sense is that we
should leave this as is so as to be consistent with at least some other
applications.

My suggestion is that you reevaluate whether you want to use klipper
because it sounds like it's tying things together that maybe should be
kept separate.

Cheers,