[wingide-users] Selecting text with keyboard shouldn't set X11 selection

Peter Fein pfein at pobox.com
Tue Sep 5 23:06:46 MDT 2006

If that subject didn't make sense to you, this is gonna be really arcane.

I use a nifty little KDE utility called klipper.  Straight from its docs:

The X Window System® uses two separate clipboard buffers: the “selection” and
the “clipboard”. Text is placed in the selection buffer by simply selecting
it, and can be pasted with the middle mouse button. To place text in the
clipboard buffer, select it and press Ctrl-X or Ctrl-C. Text from the
clipboard buffer is pasted using Ctrl-V or by selecting Edit->Paste.

Klipper, among other things, sync's the selection and clipboard, which is good
if you find the whole thing pointlessly confusing to begin with (as almost
everyone does).

Here's the problem:  Wing appears to set the X11 selection for text selected
with the keyboard (shift-arrows, etc), as well as by the mouse.  While I
hesitate to call this outright wrong, it's certainly different than every
other program I've used.

This particular becomes a problem during refactoring, when I'll select the
body of a function with the keyboard, Ctrl-X, then select the def/docstring
with the keyboard and hit Delete.  No mouse involved, yet my function body
has been replaced in the selection & clipboard by the docstring.[1]

Actually, on further investigation, this appears to be an open question.  Most
relevant thread:
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xdg/2004-June/004128.html
So I guess I'm requesting QT-style behavior. ;)

--Pete

[1] Klipper maintains a clipboard history, so it's still accessible, but it's
a bit of a pain to get to (well, 3 or so extra keystrokes on what was a 1-key
operation).

--
Peter Fein                                                     pfein at pobox.com
773-575-0694                                      Jabber: peter.fein at gmail.com