[wingide-users] feature request : jump to source when double-clicking on Traceback in debug-I/O window

GD Alcos guy.dalberto at alcos.fr
Tue Sep 5 15:11:55 MDT 2006

Hello

I am sorry to say that I will be teaching Python in about 2 weeks for
developers of an important corporation,
and I won't recommend WingIDE as their main IDE. We will probably use
it only to debug and explore code.
For that usage it's quite a nice tool.

The reason for that decision is we will use Unit Tests a lot, and
Wing has remained UnitTest-unfriendly since I tried it 4 monthes ago.

There were already 2 releases since I requested what I consider a
critical feature,
at least for people that know what are Unit Tests, and write the
UniTests before the code they exercise.

Since then numerous WingIDE bugs were corrected, but it's still not
implemented.

I still don't understand what's so difficult in a feature that is
implemented in SciTE, PyDev, PythonWin,
and even in some other parts of WingIDE.

I have the same feature in VisualStudio C++ when I run Boost UniTest Framework.

OK, maybe most users don't use Unit Tests, it's not sexy, so RIP.

Regards, Guy

=========================

On may the 4th 2006, when first evaluating WingIDE I requested that
double-clicking in the DebugIO window
would jump to the source code.

I received an answer from support on may 18th
.
>>critical
>>-------------
>>+ when an exception traceback is displayed in *Debug/IO*
>>Tool,   double-clicking on line displaying FileName and number,
>>   should go to the source in an editor window   (as PythonWin,
>> PyDev, Visual Studio, ..)  or *WingIDE in the Exceptions Tool Window*
>>   NB: it is critical as most of the exceptions that occur in my
>> code are caught by the UnitTest Framework,
>>   and are displayed by the *Debug/IO* Tool, not by the * Exceptions Tool*.
>
>I'll add this to our TODO list.  Do asserts that are hit come up in
>the exception tool when running unit tests?

After an exchange of mails, it seemed that on may 30th, my request
was finally understood and placed somewhere at the bottom of the wish list.:

>Thanks for your response -- for your usage, you don't want
>exceptions caught and the debugger stopped and this is something we
>need to support when we write a unit test tool for Wing IDE.  I was
>just suggesting that another approach is to stop at the first
>exception.  We'll want to support both approaches in a test tool.
>
>We also need to allow people to jump to a line number when an
>exception in debug output is clicked.  It's not already implemented
>because it's a bit difficult to do, but it is on our list of things
>to implement.
>
>Thanks for the feedback,

I sent following mail 7 weeks later