[wingide-users] Why the load time.

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Tue Oct 31 07:47:53 MST 2006

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006, johnf wrote:
> I wonder why wing takes so long to load.  I have an AMD Dual 4800 with 4 gigs
> of ram and SATA drives.  So my Linux workstation is not slow.  But wing still
> takes almost 10 seconds.  Where is the time spent?

We've optimized this a fair amount, so the answer is
unfortunately "a little here, a little there".

I wonder, tho, if something is not working right on your dual
processor machine, since my my 1700 Mhz single processor laptop
w/ slower disk (running Ubuntu) manages initial startup time of
about 8 seconds and about 3-4 seconds on subsequent startups.

Are you using the system GTK or Wing's private GTK?  Also,
changing themes may be worth trying as some of them add
substantial overhead w/ pixmap manipulations.

Wingware
Wing IDE for Python