[wingide-users] A few more words on autocompletion

avnerben at 012.net.il avnerben at 012.net.il
Tue Oct 24 03:49:05 MDT 2006

Here are some more suggestions regarding autocompletion:

The list generated contains both user-defined names (from the present
program), Python library names and language keywords. In a large
project, the list amounts to dozens of entries and renders the search
useless. My experience is that I almost always need my names, seldom the
library names and the Python kwds I usually type to almost completion
before I notice the presence of the helpful window. Also, when I do need
the library names, I am aware of the fact, and wouldn't like to see the
rest of list (kind of search through autocompletion).

I would like to see an __OPTION__ to divide the autocompletion list in
tree columns: User terms, Standard lib terms and keywords. I wold also
like to see only the user box by default, with a control to open the
rest when desired (and available). Another option is to activate the
division to three columns only when the complete list would exceed a
preconfigured size.

I would also like to have the capability to define rules for adding new
entries to the list and removing entries from the list. Here are some
obvious rules:
- After underscore at start of line inside class with no constructor,
add "__init__" to local list.
- After kwd "raise", suppress all entries that are not derived from
"exception".

    Avner.