[wingide-users] Idea: Performance profiles for Source Analysis configuration

Peter Fein pfein at pobox.com
Fri Oct 13 14:42:31 MDT 2006

On Friday 13 October 2006 15:21, Wingware Support wrote:
> Ken Kinder wrote:
> > Every once in a while, I think that maybe I should change the Source
> > Analysis settings. Then I realize I have no idea what I'm doing.
> >
> > It might be useful to have a combobox with pre-set profiles, like,
> > "Speed" or "Low Memory" or "Completeness" -- that lets you choose among
> > the trade-offs. Then, when you choose a profile, it would populate the
> > cache size, max memory buffers, and typing suspend timeout.
>
> Maybe -- it might be good to have a central toggle that would turn
> analysis off for slow systems.  But, we do have a good bit of code that
> depends on it working, at least minimally so it would take some work.
>
> The goal, of course, is just to make it work well without tweaking the
> preferences :).  Some of the preferences will always be required,
> however, since some people the auto-completer to act differently
> regardless of performance issues.

FWIW, I dialed down these setting pretty agressively on my underpowered/low
memory/tiny screen laptop & everything seemed to continue to work just
fine... I think I turned off background analysis & reduced the buffers to 10.

I'll admit to not really understanding these setting either, but they at least
made wing usable instead of thrashy.

--
Peter Fein                                                     pfein at pobox.com
773-575-0694                                      Jabber: peter.fein at gmail.com