[wingide-users] WingIDE 2.1.3 and Zope Page Template encoding

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Fri Oct 13 13:01:11 MDT 2006

On Fri, 13 Oct 2006, Wingware Support wrote:
> Frey, Peter wrote:
> > So how can I encode the information in the page template that it is UTF8
> > encoded and make WingIDE respect that?
> > The Byte Order Mark for UTF8 is ignored (even worse, displayed in the
> > editor) and when I type in a extended latin-1 character
>
> Wing had problems handling the UTF-8 byte order mark.  I've released a patch
> to fix this.  If a byte order mark is found, it determines the encoding of the
> file.  If no byte order mark is found, a page template is treated as xml if it
> starts with '<?xml', otherwise it is treated as html.

Which, BTW, implies that the default encoding for files starting
with <?xml is utf-8 (the XML standard) and otherwise the same
default encoding as for all other files, which can be set in
preferences.

Other than possible differences in how exactly default encoding
is determined in general, this should mirror what Zope does with
page template files.

- Stephan