[wingide-users] Python Shell not working in personal edition

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Sat Oct 7 22:15:32 MDT 2006

On Sat, 7 Oct 2006, Edward Diener wrote:
> I had downloaded the professional edition to trial and liked it enough to buy
> the personal edition. In the trialled professional edition the Python Shell
> worked flawlessly. In my personal ediiton the only thing I see in the Python
> Shell tab is a blank area with the message above of "Cannot execute: waiting
> for shell to restart". I have Python 2.3, 2.4, and 2.5 already installed on my
> system so it seems odd that the Wing IDE can not find any of them.

Wing probably found Python 2.5 and is trying to use that but
failing because the debugger support for Python 2.5 that was
shipped with Wing 2.1.2 was based on 2.5rc1 and the byte code
version number in Python was incremented after that, which broke
our shipped debugger support.

To fix this, Check for Updates from the Help menu and install at
least the Python 2.5 debugger patch, then restart Wing.

Sorry for any confusion.

Wingware
Wing IDE for Python